Saturday, January 12, 2008

Iraqi Deaths Revisited

Here’s a link sent this way by a number-crunching political analyst that serves as a reminder to this blog that it is wiser to speculate only when it actually knows.

On the other hand, if I hadn’t posted this, I would never have been aware of the even wider dimensions of the debate, would I? No pain, no gain.

Incidentally, the linked article’s mention of political motives and the names of conservative bloggers reminds me of something that I’ve been thinking about for some time: how the media and the Internet create and sustain virtual communities with often radically different versions of reality by prescreening information. For example, I assume that Yomiuri and Asahi subscribers develop very different worldviews over time. Fox “News” and CNN? Town Hall and TPM Café? This situation is replicated at every level, everywhere.

ADD: Another one came in from said analyst. (Jan. 12, 13:30)

No comments: